This is a simple sweet dish containing almost nothing but Beets and Sugar – a great way to eat Beets! General Information Country India Region South India Genre Vegeterian Category Sweet Serving Size 2 people Preparation Time 45 mins.
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: South Indian
- 6 medium Beet
- 1½ cups Sugar
- 2 tbsp Cashews, broken
- 2 tbsp Almonds, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 tbsp Raisins
- 1 tbsp Ghee (or butter)
- Peel beets and grate them using a thin sieve
- Pressure cook the grated beets for 2 whistles. Do not add water to the beets itself as it it gives out water when steamed
- Drain water from the boiled beets (press beets against a colander as required)
- Measure the amount of sugar to use. For 1 cup of boiled and grated beets (packed tightly), use ½ cup of sugar.
- In a pan, pour the ghee. Once hot, add cashews, raisins, and almonds and fry till the cashews are golden brown
- Add beets and sugar to the mix
- Stir continuously for a minute in medium heat
- Simmer the heat and boil the mix for 3-5 minutes till the water goes away from the mix and the mix becomes thick. Add a little ghee if required.
- Garnish with some more cashews, raisins, and almonds.